The Great Barrington Planning Board’s proposed regulation would:
– Allow for cultivation, sales, and affiliated businesses to operate in town;
– Allow marijuana cultivation to take place on parcels zoned for light industry and residential lots that are 5 acres or larger;
– Allow all other cannabis businesses to operate in areas zoned for business — except those that allow neighborhood businesses only.
– Require a business to obtain special authorization from the town if marijuana is to be consumed on the property.
– Set retail sale hours of operation between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. only.
– Require that in addition to a normal site plan, marijuana businesses would have to submit plans for signage and any exterior posting as well as security measures for town approval.
Planning Board members anticipate voting on the draft bylaw at their next meeting, Feb. 8. If approved by the board, the measure will go on to a public hearing. If it passes the hearing process, residents would get a chance to vote on the measure at town meeting.