Baker’s first executive order, issued last week, deemed adult-use marijuana non-essential. The state Cannabis Control Commission, which had previously imposed “social distancing” measures at dispensaries, issued cease and desist letters.
Will Luzier, the manager behind the 2016 campaign to legalize marijuana, said Tuesday there’s no reason Baker shouldn’t allow recreational marijuana sales for Massachusetts residents, as governors in other states that allow recreational marijuana have.
“The governors in other legal states do not share Gov. Baker’s approach to blocking adult-use sales, and their consumers are being treated more fairly because of it,” Luzier said in a statement, suggesting Baker should use his emergency powers to order the Cannabis Control Commission to lift its ban.
Luzier is part of a coalition of cannabis advocates, public officials and veterans calling on the governor to lift the ban on adult-use marijuana during the state of emergency.
The group called on the Legislature to draft a measure allowing adult-use marijuana sales.
Uxbridge Selectman Stephen Mandile, who served in the Iraq War, said veterans and other residents who have struggled to secure a medical cannabis card are already having trouble without access to adult-use sales. He argues the extended closures until May 4 only makes it worse.
Mandile also argued the order imposes a double standard, restricting marijuana sales but allowing alcohol sales to continue.
“The governor has not provided a compelling answer as to why alcohol sales are allowed but cannabis sales are not and to why his position differs from other governors,” Mandile wrote in a statement. “I hope the Legislature takes action to provide Massachusetts veterans the same access as veterans in other states.”